Friday, April 13, 2012

Grease Was the Word


Most of KYMTC's Grease Cast
(Left to Right) Sandy and Danny
(Left to Right) Kenicke, Rizzo, Frenchie and Doody
Dear Pink Nerds,
Grease has been the best part of my year and I haven't even blogged about it yet! I figured since it's been two weeks since the final show, I should finally write a post about it. Unfortunetly, I am not in any of the pictures above but they are all from the show. I hope you enjoy the pics, the post and that someday, you will have the chance to either see a youth production as good as KYMTC's or that maybe, you'll be lucky enough to be cast in a musical too!

The Expirience
As many of you know, this year I was cast in KYMTC's 2011 production of Grease. This meant four long months of learning the choreography, learning the songs, listening to the leads memorize their lines, listening to Barb (our director)'s numerous comments of advice of straight out rehearsing. These were some of the most difficult months of my life but they were also the most fun and the ones that would bring happiness right out of me. Yes, I would constantly complain to Natasha saying "Ugh... I'm so tired! Need sleep..." but the sleep deprivation and the months of work were totally worth it. I had the time of my life and I cannot wait until next year!

The Production Level
So obviously, the expirience was amazing but what about the production itself? Well I haven't seen the show from beggining to end yet since the dvd isn't ready but I think the production was pretty good. According to my brother, the actual production level wasn't as good as last year's The Music Man but it was still good for a youth company. Obviously Grease is known better than The Music Man so we had much larger audiences and everyone was familiar with the songs, scenes and jokes so they all laughed their heads off and cheered at the tops of their lungs therefore, the cast had a lot more energy. Last year, Barb didn't say we had a show untill the third performance but this year, even our opening night was a hit.

The Cast
When someone asks me about the cast for KYMTC's Grease, the first word that comes to mind is 'Perfect'. I don't want to release any names online so I'll just go by the names of their characters. Danny is such a perfect choice; he can pull of the tough guy attitude but deep down, he's still a nice guy. He's an amazing actor and a fantastic singer too and I'm so happy he was cast! Sandy is a stunning singer. I have never heard someone with such and amazing range that isn't already famous. I swear, someday I am going to see her on Broadway. Next, I'd like to point out Rizzo. She put on a fabulous almost New York accent and acted like such a mean person but in real life, her personality is just kind and totally un-judgemental. The rest of the cast is obviously wonderful too but I can't describe each cast memeber! There is, however, one group I'd like to point out; the girl band. These five girls have voices like you've never heard and they all have their own unique sound. One of them has a soft, sweet voice, another girl's is very jazzy, the next girl's voice is difficult to explain; you can almost hear the attitude in her voice, the other girl's voice is a very strong voice with almost a country vibe and the last girl's voice is just absolutely breath-taking. She can belt out the highest notes without running out of breath at all and she is only in grade 9! Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to hear about all thirty-something cast memebers so I'll move on.

Backstage Crew, Producer, Director, Costume Design, Choreography and even more!
Oh my gosh, there are just so many people who contributed to this play! Of course there's our director, our producer, or costume designer, our choreography and their husbands who were at the theatre day & night. They planned, made props, sets and costumes, and they gave us all kinds of tips on how to improve our show. If these guys weren't there, we would never have been able to put on this show. But even more people contributed; our marvelous backstage crew. The backstage crew were wonderful to be around but during the show, we barely saw them at all! The most we saw of them during a production was their feet shuffling around and them dashing to change enormous sets in less than 10 seconds. I don't know how they did it, but they did an amazing job.

Okay, I can't write anymore! I'm going to miss the cast & crew so much and I hope to see as many of them as possible next year! Thank you for taking the time to read this long post!

Bai Bai Pink Nerds,
Meaghan ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment